EDGE OF CINEMA screens feature films, documentaries, short films and art installations that explore and exceed the boundaries between storytelling and art. Edge of Cinema is curated by Dutch filmmakers Jefta Varwijk and Yaron Cohen.
Follow us on
October 11. 2020
Post Tenebras Lux is really a pure EDGE OF CINEMA type film. Get ready for this amazing movie from Mexican director Carlos Reygadas who won the Best Director award at Cannes in 2013. This film deviates from a standard narrative structure, to immerse the viewer in something special.
A quote from the director:
"People ask me: is it just a collection of images? Of course not: in this film all the sequences work together with one another. I don't think you can take any of the 25 scenes and put them in a different order. It may not be the traditional narrative of cinema but it's actually pretty straightforward. It's true there is no clear code to read it, whether this is the past or the future, or if it is imaginary or not; but it's supposed to be like that, and you only understand retrospectively."
Juan and his urban family live in the Mexican countryside, where they enjoy and suffer a world apart. And nobody knows if these two worlds are complementary or if they strive to eliminate one another.
7:30pm: DOORS OPEN
8:00pm: START FILMS
With English subtitles!
- Soy Cuba (by Mikhail Kalatozov)
- Koyaanisqatsi (by Godfrey Reggio)
- The Mirror (by Andrei Tarkovsky)
- The Tree of Life (by Terrence Malick)
- Irreversible (by Gaspar Noé)
- Wild at Heart (by David Lynch)
- Laurence Anyway (by Xavier Dolan)
- The Land of the Enlightened incl Q&A (by Pieter-Jan De Pue)
- Victoria (by Sebastian Schippers)
- Dogtooth (by Yorgos Lanthimos)
- and special screenings e.g music videoclips and shorts!